Stouder Center, 1100 Wayne St. Suite 1593, Troy, Ohio 45373
Common Myths about Hypnosis
1. The hypnotize person is asleep. The word itself comes from a Greek word that means sleep. Hypnosis is a heightened state of mental awareness. The physical body gives the appearance of sleep, but the mind is awake and focused.
2. The hypnotize person is out of control. You never lose control. You do the opposite you begin to take control of a piece of your life that may be you did not have control over before.
3. Hypnosis works as a polygraph. Hypnosis is not a "truth serum". You will not reveal any secrets or confidential information when in hypnosis.
4. Weak-minded people are easier to hypnotize. Intelligent people who have the ability to concentrate will make the very best subjects for hypnosis.
5. A hypnotize person will not recall what took place in a session. You are aware of everything that takes place during your session. Hypnosis is not like going to sleep! Your physical body may give the appearance of sleep, but your mind is very awake, very alert and attentive.
6. There is always a chance of remaining hypnotized. The hypnotize person always holds the control, so there is no difficulty in terminating the hypnotic state. The only time people ever stayed hypnotized is when Vincent Price would do it on the Late Show.
7. People do weird and crazy things went hypnotized. A stage hypnotist is an entertainer. The stage hypnotist must implement outlandish, unusual behavior in the volunteer to make a stage show fun and enjoyable. Hypnosis that is use for a serious purpose will never have you bark like a dog or quack like a duck! Remember, hypnosis cannot make you do anything you don't want to do!
8. Hypnosis weakens a person's will. You cannot be hypnotized against your will. Hypnosis is not a clash of wills. It is a condition of trust and cooperation between the client and the hypnotist.
9. Hypnosis is habit forming. No. You cannot become addicted to hypnosis nor can it be habit-forming like a drug. No matter how many times you had been hypnotized, you can reject it at any time.
10. Hypnosis is the work of the devil. Using self-hypnosis will show you how to use a little bit more of your God given talent.